This bento utilizes a recipe I found on Discovery's National Body Challenge website. It was pretty amazing.
Top tier: Veggie slices! Carrot sticks, green bell pepper, and cucumber.
Bottom tier: White rice with black sesame seed on the left, then a peanut sauce sautee of veggies and seitan on the right. (I subbed seitan for the tofu because I didn't have any tofu around...also didn't use honey and subbed a bit of cashew butter for some of the peanut butter.)Recipe:
Tofu with Peanut-Ginger Sauce
* 5 tablespoons water
* 4 tablespoons smooth natural peanut butter
* 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (see Ingredient note) or white vinegar
* 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
* 2 teaspoons honey
* 2 teaspoons minced ginger
* 2 cloves garlic , minced
* 14 ounces extra-firm tofu , preferably water-packed
* 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 4 cups baby spinach (6 ounces)
* 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (4 ounces)
* 4 each scallions , sliced (1 cup)
1. To prepare sauce: Whisk water, peanut butter, rice vinegar (or white vinegar), soy sauce, honey, ginger and garlic in a small bowl.
2. To prepare tofu: Drain and rinse tofu; pat dry. Slice the block crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick slabs. Coarsely crumble each slice into smaller, uneven pieces.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add tofu and cook in a single layer, without stirring, until the pieces begin to turn golden brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Then gently stir and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until all sides are golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes more.
4. Add spinach, mushrooms, scallions and the peanut sauce and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just cooked, 1 to 2 minutes more.
4 servings, generous 3/4 cup each servings